3 police stations refused to file a complaint for the disappearance of Sheena Bora: Rahul Mukerjea testifies | Bombay News

Mumbai: Rahul Mukerjea, the son of former media baron Peter Mukerjea, gave evidence before a special CBI tribunal in Mumbai on Thursday in relation to the murder of his fiancee Sheena Bora. Mukerjea claimed he ran from pillar to post to find Sheena, who disappeared after meeting her mother Indrani Mukerjea, the main defendant in the case, on April 24, 2012, and said three Mumbai police stations refused to file a missing persons report.

He informed the court that in early 2012, Sheena reconnected with Indrani as she wanted financial assistance to pursue an MBA course at Oxford Brooks University. The mother-daughter duo then met briefly at a five-star hotel near Mumbai airport in early April 2012 and after the meeting, Sheena told Rahul that “Indrani’s attitude had changed and that she had accepted their engagement and was helpful.”

The mother-daughter duo had also decided to meet again on April 24, 2012 – the day Sheena was allegedly killed. On the fateful day, Rahul dropped Sheena on Linking Road in Bandra where he saw a parked Silver car in which Indrani was sitting in the back seat and Shyamwar Rai, another defendant in the case who turned approving, was in the seat. of the driver. He also saw Indrani’s ex-husband, Sanjeev Khanna, also arrested in the case, at the scene.

He said that after he got home he texted her intermittently. When he received his first response, they were having a drink at a hotel in Bandra and then went to dinner at another hotel. In a later message, Sheena replied that she was having fun with Indrani and wanted to spend the night with her.

“I was a little surprised by the message because the day before Sheena was in two minds…whether or not to go to the meeting,” he said.

The next morning he heard nothing from her. When he texted, she replied that she would be home in a few hours. But, half an hour later she got another message saying she had met someone very rich and she was in love with him and didn’t want to be with me anymore and I shouldn’t kick her out , said Rahul.

Rahul added that he told her that she should at least call him. “Not now. Maybe in a few months,” she replied. Upon receiving the response, Rahul suspected that “something might have happened…maybe someone another sent the messages from his phone”.

“I never thought then or even later…that his life was in danger,” Rahul said. However, he immediately started looking for Sheena and went straight to Indrani in Worli. He checked his two adjoining apartments but found no one but a lady, who had no idea about Sheena. Having failed to find out where she was, Rahul said, he went to Worli police station and explained the situation to the duty officers.

Rahul said two police officers came with him to check Indrani’s residence but to no avail. He said he then tried to file a written complaint with Worli Police but they said he had to stop worrying because Sheena had left with her mum she would be fine and could come back in A few days.

At the suggestion of Worli police, he went to Bandra police station, in whose jurisdiction he had last seen Sheena, to lodge a complaint. Bandra police told him the same and eventually directed him to the MIDC police station in Andheri.

He then called his mother (Peter Mukerjea’s first wife) in Dehradun and informed her that Sheena was missing. His mother got former Mumbai Police Commissioner Param Bir Singh’s number through a mutual friend and spoke to him. Rahul said Singh told him to file a missing person report, saying it was very important.

Eventually, when his mother came to Mumbai, the MIDC police wrote down everything he said in the police diary, but did not investigate further.

Afterwards, he called Indrani, her father, Sheena’s friends, her boss and even her grandparents, but no one knew where she was. He said he suspected Indrani of not telling the truth, as she kept telling him different stories about Sheena. First she told him that Sheena had gone to Nagpur, then said she had returned to Guwahati and later that she was in the United States.

“On one occasion, Indrani told me that she dropped Sheena off at the place (Bandra) from where she picked her up,” he said, adding, “I thought Indrani was lying to because of his answers.

Rahul Mukerjea’s testimony will continue at the next hearing on June 17. Furthermore, as the court decided on the timing of Rahul’s cross-examination by lawyers for three defendants, Indrani informed the court that she herself would cross-examine him. Once the prosecution completes the examination of Rahul, he will be cross-examined by the defendant’s attorney. Indrani told the court she would need at least 15 days to prepare for her cross-examination. The court would rule by June 17

According to police, Indrani and her ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna strangled Sheena, 25, Indrani’s daughter from his previous relationship, on April 24, 2012, in a car in Mumbai. The following day, they disposed of the body in a forest area in Gagode village, Raigad district.

The murder came to light after Khar police arrested Shyamvar Rai, Indrani’s former driver, in another case in August 2015. Indrani was arrested on August 25, 2015 – immediately after the crime came to light, followed by Khanna’s arrest. Peter Mukerjea was arrested on November 19, 2015, after the case was transferred to the CBI.


    Charul Shah is senior reporter covering legal beat for Hindustan Times. She has spent over a decade in the industry covering criminal and judicial investigations in Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Bengaluru.
    …See the details

Comments are closed.